http://www.satyaliveyoga.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/logo.jpg 0 0 Christina Jagusiak http://www.satyaliveyoga.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/logo.jpg Christina Jagusiak2012-11-05 05:30:522022-02-23 17:01:47One-legged prayer pose – Eka pada pranamasana
- Stand with the feet together and the arms beside the body.
- Find a point ahead to direct the gaze.
- Slowly transfer the weight onto the left leg.
- Bend the right knee, take a hold of the right ankle and place the sole of the foot against the inner left thigh.
- Position the heel close to the perineum with the right knee pointing out to the side.
- Join the palms together in front of the chest.
- Gaze softly at the fixed point to maintain a steady balance.
- Hold the position for as long as comfortable.
- To release, lower the hands then the foot and redistribute the weight evenly.
- Repeat with the left leg, then practice up to 3 times on each side.
- Natural breath.
- Improves the sense of balance.
- Strengthens the leg, ankle and foot muscles.
- Develops concentration and focus.
- Calms and balances the mind.
- Work up to this pose by first taking the right foot to the left ankle, if steady, rest the right foot on the left calf. To progress, take the right foot to the left thigh, once this is mastered, practice as instructed above.
- Assume the final position, as instructed, then as the breath is inhaled raise the arms above the head. Keep the palms together and hold for as long as comfortable before releasing.
- Challenge the balance by closing the eyes.
- Be careful not to place the sole of the foot on the knee joint of the balancing leg.