https://www.satyaliveyoga.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/108-e1409806779526.jpg 111 192 Christina Jagusiak http://www.satyaliveyoga.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/logo.jpg Christina Jagusiak2013-01-25 04:30:082014-09-04 15:00:04Why 108?
- 1, 0, and 8: Some say that 1 stands for God or higher Truth, 0 stands for emptiness or completeness in spiritual practice, and 8 stands for infinity or eternity.
- Sun and Earth: The diameter of the Sun is 108 times the diameter of the Earth. The distance from the Sun to the Earth is 108 times the diameter of the Sun.
- Moon and Earth: The average distance of the Moon from the Earth is 108 times the diameter of the Moon.
- Silver and the moon: In astrology, the metal silver is said to represent the moon. The atomic weight of silver is 108.
- Numerical scale: The 1 of 108, and the 8 of 108, when added together equals 9, which is the number of the numerical scale, i.e. 1, 2, 3 ... 10, etc., where 0 is not a number.
- 9 times 12: Both of these numbers have been said to have spiritual significance in many traditions. 9 times 12 is 108. Also, 1 plus 8 equals 9. That 9 times 12 equals 108.
- Powers of 1, 2, and 3 in math: 1 to 1st power=1; 2 to 2nd power=4 (2x2); 3 to 3rd power=27 (3x3x3). 1x4x27=108
- Desires: There are said to be 108 earthly desires.
- Delusions: There are said to be 108 human delusions or forms of ignorance.
- Heart Chakra: The chakras are the intersections of energy lines, and there are said to be a total of 108 energy lines converging to form the heart chakra.
- Sanskrit alphabet: There are 54 letters in the Sanskrit alphabet. Each has masculine and feminine, shiva and shakti. 54 times 2 is 108.
- Upanishads: Some say there are 108 Upanishads, texts of the wisdom of the ancient sages.
- Pentagon: The angle formed by two adjacent lines in a pentagon equals 108 degrees.
- Astrology: There are 12 constellations, and 9 arc segments called namshas or chandrakalas. 9 times 12 equals 108. Chandra is moon, and kalas are the divisions within a whole.
- River Ganga: The sacred River Ganga spans a longitude of 12 degrees (79 to 91), and a latitude of 9 degrees (22 to 31). 12 times 9 equals 108.
- Planets and Houses: In astrology, there are 12 houses and 9 planets. 12 times 9 equals 108.
- Goddess names: There are said to be 108 Indian goddess names.